Located in the inner city suburb of Thorndon are three distinct buildings that make up New Zealand's Parliament Buildings with each being constructed in a different era.
The oldest is The Parliamentary Library which was constructed in 1899 in Gothic revival style. Next is Parliament House which was destroyed in a fire in 1907 with reconstruction beginning in 1914 and completed in 1922. A second stage was never been completed however due to the onset of World War 1. In the 1970s, construction began on a building nicknamed 'The Beehive'. It took the space where the original second stage of Parliament House was to be located. This building has its share of critics, but is nevertheless a a unigue Wellington icon.