Try switching to satellite imagery where you can see landscape and cityscape features. Street view if it is available activates upon maximum zoom. To go fullscreen, click the icon at the top-right of the map.
NOTE: Australian Antarctic Territory is part of the realm of Australia, but is not included in these statistics.
- Northern most point is Bramble Cay.
- Southern most point is Bishop and Clerk Islets.
- Eastern most point is Steels Point on Norfolk Island.
- Western-most point is Flat Island off the coast of Western Australia.
- Northern-most point is the tip of Cape York in Queensland.
- Southern most point is South Point on Wilsons Promontory in Victoria.
- Eastern-most point is Cape Byron in New South Wales.
- Western-most point is Steep Point in Western Australia.
If you travelled across mainland Australia in a straight line (not diagonal):
- The northern most point to the southern most point is approximately 3680km (2286 miles);
- The eastern most point to the western most point is approximately 4000km (2485 miles).
- Highest point on the mainland is Mount Kosciuszko at 2,228 metres (7309 feet).
- Highest point in the realm of Australia is Mawson Peak on Heard Island at 2,744 metres (9002 feet).
- Lowest point on the mainland and the realm of Australia is Lake Eyre at −15 metres (-49 feet).
There are three time zones in Australia. They are:
- Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST);
- Australian Central Standard Time (ACST);
- Australian Western Standard Time (AWST).
During summer there can be up to 5 different times within the 3 time zones due to some states observing daylight saving or because daylight saving starts at different times for different states. If you consider the realm of Australia, then there are actually six time zones. The extra zones being:
- Christmas Island Time (CXT);
- Lord Howe Standard Time (LHST);
- Norfolk Time (NFT).
Author & photographer: David Johnson (Virtual Oceania). Providing a credit or link is appreciated.
The website's, logo, name, content, photos, and design are protected by international copyright law.
Original versions of our photos can be purchased & web versions can be shared subject to conditions.