»  Travel Info
»  Diving
»  Fishing

New Caledonia Travel Information


The French Pacific Franc (XFP) is the currency of New Caledonia. It comes in 1/2/5/10/20/50 and 100 francs coins and 500/1,000/5,000/10,000 francs notes.

What to wear?

New Caledonia has a temperate to sub-tropical climate. Light clothing is all that is required all year round. For winter nights, make sure you have some sweatshirts or similar. Bring something a bit more elegant if you want to visit a casino, night club, or restaurant in Noumea.

Make sure you bring a pair of walking shoes if you want to do some trekking. Also a pair of rubber soles, if you want to swim or walk in and near a coral reef.

Passport information

French citizens require a current passport and a return or connecting ticket.

Foreign nationals who can stay for a period of three months or less without a visa include:
Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Finland, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Portugal, St Marin, St Siège (Vatican), Sweden, and Switzerland. There is no extension available after three months.

Foreign nationals who can stay for one month or less without a visa include:
Bermuda, Brunei (Bandar), Canada, Chili, Croatia, Cyprus, Hungary, Japan, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, United States, and Uruguay. There is no extension available after one month.

Other citizens have to apply for a short stay visa from the French Consulate/ Embassy/Prefecture.

Request for residency

European Union nationals can live in New Caledonia if they can prove they have the funds to live there or have proof of self-employment. If you wish to find employment in New Caledonia, visit the French Consulate/Embassy/Prefecture and fill out a long stay visa. Other citizens can apply for a long stay visa at the French Consulate/Embassy.


All goods brought into New Caledonia must be declared and all taxes and customs duty must be paid. Certain goods are exempt from customs duty and taxes. These include a limited amount of the following:
Tobacco, alcoholic beverages, perfume, toilet water, coffee or coffee products, tea or tea products. Please check for the latest amounts that you are allowed to purchase at the tax free rate. You must be over the age of 17 years to import tobacco or alcohol at the duty free rate.


Oceania photos, maps, & travel by country

OCEANIA: Maps ›› Photos ›› Travel ››

AUSTRALIA: Maps ›› Photos›› Travel ››

NEW ZEALAND: Maps ›› Photos ›› Travel ››

NEW CALEDONIA: Maps ›› Photos ›› Travel ››

TONGA: Maps ›› Photos ›› Travel ››

Author & photographer: David Johnson (Virtual Oceania)

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF


This web site, logo, name, content, photos, and design are protected by international copyright law.
Original versions of our photos can be purchased & web versions can be shared subject to conditions.